- 2 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces Cheddar, grated
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a medium gratin dish with butter.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with an overlapping layer of potatoes. Lightly season with salt and pepper and top with a sprinkling of cheese (about 2 tablespoons). Continue layering potatoes, seasoning, and cheese, ending with the remaining cheese on top. Pour the cream over the potatoes, pressing lightly with your hands to cover the potatoes with cream. Cover with aluminum foil and bake until the cheese is absorbed into the potatoes and the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 50 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the mixture is bubbly and the top is golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before cutting into portions.