- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- 1 pound box confectionersí sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- FOR THE CAKE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans. In a medium bowl or on a piece of waxed paper, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Beat in eggs one at a time. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk. Beat in food coloring and vinegar, then add vanilla. Spread the batter evenly in the pans.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Turn out onto a rack to cool.
- FOR THE FROSTING: In a large bowl, cream the cream cheese and butter. Beat in confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Stir in pecans. Use frosting to fill and ice cake.
- Slice and serve on individual plates.
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
Oranges With Red Wine Syrup And Orange Pound Cake
Braised Oxtails With Sweet Potato Pudding And Fried Okra
Richard's Chicken And Dumplings
Lemon Pound Cake With Lemon Pastry Cream
Café Au Lait Crème Brûlée with Cane Syrup Cake
Spicy Chile-Chocolate Cake
Homemade King Cake Doughnuts