- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups Steen's 100% Pure Cane Syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 unbaked 9-inch pastry shells
- 16 scoops Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Combine the flour, brown sugar, salt and butter in a mixing bowl. Mix until the mixture resembles a coarse crumb-like mixture. Divide the mixture in half. In another mixing bowl, combine the baking soda and 1/2 cup of the water, and whisk until the baking soda is dissolved. Add the eggs, syrup, vanilla and remaining water, and whisk until smooth. Fold one half of the crumb mixture into the sugar filling. Pour the filling into the prepared pie shells. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture evenly over the filling. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees F and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top is firm. Remove from the oven and serve warm with ice cream.
- *May need to shield edges with foil.