- 1 1/2 pounds cooking apples (such as Granny Smith), peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- Toss the apples with 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of the nutmeg, and 1 tablespoon of the sugar in a large mixing bowl. In a large ovenproof skillet, combine 1/2 stick of the butter and 1/2 cup of the sugar over medium-high heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture caramelizes and becomes syrupy.
- Spread the apples evenly over the bottom of the skillet and remove from the heat.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with a paddle, cream the remaining 1 1/2 cups of sugar and the remaining stick of butter together. Sift the remaining 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, salt and flour together and set aside.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and sour cream to the butter mixture. Beat until smooth. Add the sifted flour mixture, a little at a time. Beat until smooth. Pour the batter over the apples in the skillet.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for about 40 minutes or until golden and the cake pulls away from the sides. Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes. Invert the cake onto a platter and serve warm. Garnish with whipped cream.
Mille Feuille Of Benne Wafers And Pineapple Pastry Cream With Macerated Berries
Creole Duck Breast with Abita Beer Glaze and Sour Apples
Sweet Potato Cheesecake
Basic Hot Milk Sponge Cake
Grilled Filet of Beef with Blue Cheese Glacage, Bacon and Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes and a Drizzle of Emeril's Homemade Worcestershire Sauce
Lump Crabmeat Remick With Saffron Rice Pilaf
Sour Cream Cake With Macerated Berries
Spicy Chile-Chocolate Cake
Turkey Stew Over Potato Cakes
Sour Cream Fudge Cake